[prog] Software Evaluation

EevaJärvinen eeva.jarvinen1 at luukku.com
Sat May 10 19:02:22 EST 2003

I don't have a ready-made solution for you, but this is what I'd try
for starters:

On su, touko  11, 2003 at 01:47:20 +1000, evolution_9112003 at yahoo.com.au wrote:
> I was given this knowledge management software (runs both on Linux and
> Windows) which basically collects information about meetings and can save
> information on pdf, zip, audio, video files.

Give it broken files.  Break the files intentionally (open in file
editor and change contents), see what happens.  Crashes?
Malfunctions?

If it has any kind of e-mail interface, send it broken e-mail.  Better
yet (and be sure to do this in a lab which computers are NOT connected
with the rest of the world, and which drives are completely shredded
afterwards) send it virii.  See what happens.

Try to break in.  Try to get too much access, try to see other
people's files etc.  Don't try it just in/with the program, but try to
pry into other users' files with utilities as well.  Try to fake your
identity in any way possible.

If it has network functionality (i.e. it sends packets around the
wires itself) make a log of its messages and try to read them for all
they're worth.

Try to use a winclient to see files on linuxclient, and vice versa.
You might be able to get to user's files on windows with a
linuxclient.

Eeva
(I just love doing those kind of things, but the results are not often
appreciated:  people still don't like someone pointing their mistakes
for them)

--
...women are not obedient, chaste, scented, and exquisitely apparelled by
nature.  They can only attain these graces, without which they may enjoy

                                                  V. Woolf, Orlando