[prog] __get_user_x Error

Jimen Ching jching at flex.com
Thu Mar 20 19:33:25 EST 2003

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, S P wrote:
>I am using __get_user_1 function in a kernel module. I have included
>"asm-i386/uaccess.h" needed for the same.

You should probably just use

	#include <asm/uaccess.h>

The 'asm' directory should be a link to asm-i386 on an IA-32 system.  This
would make your code more portable.

>The module compiles fine. But on insmod gives the error "Unresolved
>Symbol __get_user_1".  Do I need to include any other files ?

The _1 is probably a version or some other postfix.  The actual function
name is get_user.  Are you using modversions?  If so, you need to include
modversions.h or something like that.  A kernel with modversions compiled
in will require this for the module as well.

Do you have a simple example source code that will show the problem?  It
would make it a lot easier to help.

>If not is there any alternate function I can use instead ?

A google search indicates that a more general version of the function is
copy_from_user.

--jc
Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)      jching at flex.com     wh6brr at uhm.ampr.org