Installing CPAN modules (Re: [prog] HTTP-to-HTTPS tunnel)

Almut Behrens almut-behrens at gmx.net
Thu Jun 19 00:21:09 EST 2003

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 10:22:20AM +0200, Dan Richter wrote:
> Thanks for the tip Jacinta.
>
> Okay, I'm trying to use CPAN to install the needed modules like this:
>    perl -MCPAN -e 'install Crypt::SSLeay'
>
> It's the first time I've ever installed using CPAN, so I was asked a bunch
> of questions and everything seemed to configure okay. I ran the same
> command again just to be sure. But nothing seemed to happen.
>
> I've confirmed that Perl can't find the module. My ~/.cpan directory
> contains only two subdirectories: CPAN (containing MyConfig.pm and
> MyConfig.pm~) and sources (containing MIRRORED.BY).
>
> What do I do now?

sometimes, CPAN.pm is a little hard to get going the first time...
If you can't find out why it's not working as expected, I'd suggest you
simply do the required steps manually: download the module's tarball
from CPAN (search.cpan.org), unpack it, and then do the usual

perl Makefile.PL
make
make test    # optionally
make install

Independently of those attempts, you might want to give "curl" a try
(http://curl.haxx.se).  Curl is both a versatile commandline tool
(similar in spirit to wget), and a programming library (libcurl).
Several bindings to scripting languages exist -- of course, there's
also one for Perl (http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/perl/)
It supports HTTPS, cookies, and a lot more...

Almut