[Prog] A good language to learn?

Jimen Ching jching at flex.com
Tue Jul 29 09:59:59 EST 2003

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Gil Jacobs wrote:
>It seems to me that the advantages of C++ outweigh the disadvantages by
>far.

No doubt.  ;-)

>As I see it the disadvantages of C++ are that it is difficult to learn
>and that it is not as logical as Pascal (my favourite language!).

I assume you mean the OO part of C++?  C++ also supports procedural
programming, as you've mentioned.  In which case, I'm not sure I
understand the 'logical' comment in comparing to Pascal.

C++ also supports generic programming.  A very powerful technique
indeed.  Many people overlook this feature of C++.

Though difficulty learning is just one disadvantage, it is a major
disadvantage.  Many languages failed because it was _too_ difficult.

I, personally, don't find C++ all that difficult.  I find it 'large', but
not difficult.  Some people equate the two, which is unfair to C++.
People often forget that C++ does not force you into any specific
programming style, like so many other languages.  But too much freedom for
some people means they get confused.  And that's where the difficulty
begins.

--jc
Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)      jching at flex.com     wh6brr at uhm.ampr.org