[Prog] A good language to learn?

Gil Jacobs giljacobs at woza.co.za
Tue Jul 29 16:00:01 EST 2003

Here are my reasons for thinking that C++ is a good language to learn:-

1. It is a hybrid language, ie one has the choice of procedural or object oriented programming.
2. There is a vast amount of C++ code in existence, so it won't disappear soon.
3. It is supported by many manufacturers, there are compilers for nearly all operating systems, so one is not tied to a particular operating system or software company.
4. It is a general-purpose language, not limited to a particular style of programming.
5. Proficiency in C++ makes Java easy to learn.
6. It is a compiled language which yields fast executables.

It seems to me that the advantages of C++ outweigh the disadvantages by far. As I see it the disadvantages of C++ are that it is difficult to learn and that it is not as logical as Pascal (my favourite language!).

Comments would be interesting.

Gil Jacobs

Scanned by ICL's anti-virus solution