[prog] Perl and PHP (was: Re: session management ...)

Dan Richter daniel.richter at wimba.com
Fri Jul 4 12:17:29 EST 2003

> > Have you taken a look at PHP for your scripting?

I use PHP a lot, but it's not appropriate in this case because I need to do
a lot of text processing.

>I wonder if anyone's written a PHP-for-Perl-programmers
>tutorial?

I learned PHP from the online documentation:
   http://www.php.net/docs.php
It only took me about two weeks to be quite proficient. PHP is easy to learn!

Now that I'm learning Perl, I can see many similarities, but I certainly
haven't gotten bored. I guess that's because PHP is sort of a subset of
Perl, so I learn all kinds of things about Perl, but you don't learn much
with PHP.

By the way, do you know what PHP stands for? According to
http://www.php.net, it's (now) a recursive acronym that stands for "PHP:
Hypertext Preprocessor". Somehow it's not as good as "GNU's Not Unix",
"WINE Is Not an Emulator", "SYGNUS, Your GNU Solution", or even "munged
until no good", but I guess that's because "PHP" doesn't have any vowels,
so you can't pronounce it as a word.

========== Dan Richter ============== mailto:Dan at wimba.com ===========
  This may sound a little foreign to all you folks coming from a
  non-Unix background, but PHP doesn't cost anything. You can use it
  for commercial and/or non-commercial use all you want. You can give
  it to your friends, print it out and hang it on your wall or eat it
  for lunch. Welcome to the world of Open Source software! Smile, be
  happy, the world is good.
      - Quoted from http://www.php.net