[prog] session management with Perl CGI scripts

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Thu Jul 3 21:26:39 EST 2003

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 08:51:54AM +0100, Tony Dietrich wrote:
> Whilst I appreciate that you're question was specifically about Perl, I
> have this personal aversion to re-inventing the wheel <g> ....
>
> Have you taken a look at PHP for your scripting?  PHP has transparent
> session management built-in.... and a reasonably easy method for
> changing the storage method for session data, which allows you to either
> use files or databases (or anything else you can invent, I guess) to
> store the data.

That's true enough, but there may be other reasons for using perl -- for
example, if one is at the mercy of one's ISP or web-host, and they
aren't giving one PHP as an option.   It's been my experience that there
are more web-hosts that offer perl/CGI than PHP.  Or that one pays extra
for PHP.

<aside>
Strangely, what I've found with PHP is that it is so similar to perl in
some respects that my usual method for learning a new programming
language -- to buy an O'Reilly book and read it from cover to cover --
has bored me so much to tears that my PHP book is gathering dust,
unfinished. (sigh)  I know I have to get around to it, though, because
it's those spots where it isn't like perl which are the ones I need to
know... I wonder if anyone's written a PHP-for-Perl-programmers
tutorial?
</aside>

--
 _--_|\	    | Kathryn Andersen	<http://www.katspace.com>