[prog] session management with Perl CGI scripts

Tony Dietrich td at transcc.co.uk
Thu Jul 3 08:51:54 EST 2003

Dan

Whilst I appreciate that you're question was specifically about Perl, I
have this personal aversion to re-inventing the wheel <g> ....

Have you taken a look at PHP for your scripting?  PHP has transparent
session management built-in.... and a reasonably easy method for
changing the storage method for session data, which allows you to either
use files or databases (or anything else you can invent, I guess) to
store the data.

TD

On Wed, 2003-07-02 at 19:32, Elizabeth Barham wrote:
> Dan writes:
>
> > Does anyone know of a simple program that demonstrates session
> > management (over the web) in Perl? For example, a CGI program where
> > you have to login?
> >
> > What I'm particularly interested in is how automated the system
> > is. I think I noticed somewhere a module that makes it easy to
> > maintain data associated with a session. Does anyone know what this
> > module might be?
>
> Apache::Session::MySQL maybe?
>
>    http://search.cpan.org/search?query=session&mode=module
>
>    As I recall, Apache::Session sets up a hash which it associates
> with the client similar in nature to the 'tie' mechanism.  There
> probably is some kind of 'login' module available for perl but I'm not
> aware of one. I wrote a web-app that had login, etc. and basically its
> a matter of authenticating them and then storing that they've been
> authenticated in the session data. Of course, it needs to eventually
> timeout so you can have a column that is "last hit" and then later on
> automatically log them out after a certain amount of inactivity (24
> hours or what not) - this can be done with a simple SQL command.
>
> Elizabeth
Tony Dietrich <td at transoft.demon.co.uk>
Transoft Computer Consultants
--