[prog] re the perl course

Sue Stones suzo at bigpond.net.au
Sat Feb 8 13:31:09 EST 2003

> For similar problems in C, I've found emacs' auto-indent amazingly
> helpful.  Often, I'll hit return and the cursor will jump to an odd
> indentation level that I didn't expect ... then I know I have a syntax
> error, such as a missing semicolon or missing close-quote, in an earlier
> line.
>
> (Of course, other editors also do this; you don't have to use emacs
> to get the benefits of auto-indenting.)

I haven't tried emacs yet, I thought about trying it a few months ago, but I
didn't have time for the initially steep learning curve.  I use vi and as
far as I got in reading it seemed that emacs was slower to use (I mean more
verbose instructions).

vi has an auto-indent but it isn't based on syntax so that sounds very
useful.  mind  my use of vi is only based on information for the old unix
vi.  I have just bought a book on vim, and am yet to open it.  So there may
be more power available in vim than I am using now.

There are so many things to learn, it is hard to determine which are the
most beneficial to put effort into in the limited time that I have.

sue

sue