[prog] Who were your best CompSci teachers?

Jimen Ching jching at flex.com
Tue Apr 8 09:41:56 EST 2003

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Mary wrote:
>This is an interesting observation to make on LinuxChix. Judging from
>other threads on other LinuxChix lists, a high proportion of our
>subscribers are not products of the assembly line schooling system and
>are self-taught programmers or are learning it post-school or
>post-university, or outside school or university.

This is not a surprise to me.  Consider who is more likely to subscribe to
a mailing list like this one; a product of assembly line schooling or a
self-taught?  Matter of fact, seems like a few subscribers are
over-achievers.  Which is a good thing.  ;)

In the old days (early 90's), usenet had many technical newsgroups with
actual professors and grad students.  Now, most technical newsgroups are
full of wannabee's arguing about superficial things.  It is rare to find
an outlet like this mailing list.  Obviously, it's going to attract a
certain type of people.  I've joined quite a number of other mailing lists
that claim to be technical.  But after a few months, I was usually
disappointed.  This list has been interesting so far...  ;-)

--jc
Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)      jching at flex.com     wh6brr at uhm.ampr.org