[prog] Who were your best CompSci teachers?

Sue Stones suzo at bigpond.net.au
Wed Apr 9 00:22:26 EST 2003

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003 08:07 pm, Mary wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 07, 2003, Jimen Ching wrote:
> > engineering.  Such as operating system theory, database theory, queing
> > theory.  Basic algorithms like linked-lists, and recursion should be
> > taught in high school.
>
> This is an interesting observation to make on LinuxChix. Judging from
> other threads on other LinuxChix lists, a high proportion of our
> subscribers are not products of the assembly line schooling system and
> are self-taught programmers or are learning it post-school or
> post-university, or outside school or university.
>
> At the very least, in this model, you'll need to account for alternative
> routes of formal learning (there's book-learning, but some people
> respond better to teaching) for the large portion of subscribers who
> went to high school before much computing was taught there.
>
> *I* went to high school before much computing was taught, and I'm 21.

When I went to school computers used paper tape, when I started uni there was
a computer there, and programs were kept on punched card.  Although the
developement of the programming language C started when I was in high school
it wasn't finished until about 1979.  My first chance to use a computer was
10 years after that.

sue