[prog] Who were your best CompSci teachers?

James Sutherland jas at spamcop.net
Sun Apr 6 22:45:56 EST 2003

From: "Robert J. Hansen" <rjh at sixdemonbag.org>

> Not sure where this belongs, so I'm throwing it here because this seems
> most apropos for programming and related questions.
>
> Who was your best, most formative, CompSci teacher, and why?

Mine? Martin Richards (as in BCPL). Technically, his course was entitled
something like Basics of Comparitive Programming Languages, and the initials
and his background both hint at the main language involved ;-)

My favorite language, though, remains C - ironic, since I hated it when I
first met it. Having developed from BASIC -> ARM assembler (on the ARM2:
cache? what cache?) -> C, I've never felt any affinity for "functional"
programming languages. If you start from a maths perspective, I suppose they
feel more natural, but having regarded programs as a set of sequentially
executed instructions with state, it seems inelegant...

James.