[prog] Including entities in DocBook

sherzodr sherzodr at ultracgis.com
Thu Nov 21 07:10:06 EST 2002

Hi Dan,

    :I have several DocBook docs that have a lot of entities in
    :common. I would
    :like to declare all the entities in a single file, like this:
    :   <!DOCTYPE ... [
    :       <!ENTITY entity-file SYSTEM "foo">
    :       &entity-file;
    :   ]>

Well, if that's all you want, simply declare all your entities in your
.dtd file,
and refer to that file in your doctype declaration. Voila!

<!DOCTYPE someName SYSTEM "/dtd/foo.dtd">

If you want to be able to load external entity, consider the following
syntax:

<!ENTITY % my-entities SYSTEM "/dtd/foo.dtd">

And yes, the above are compatible with XML.

I'm not well familiar with DocBook, so if I'm missing something, let me
know.

Sherzod