[Philly-chix] Girls Inc Ubuntu Installation - Saturday June 9th

Elizabeth Bevilacqua lyz at princessleia.com
Fri Jun 1 04:01:29 UTC 2007

Sorry for coming in so late with this (it's only a week away!) but the
details have been coming in pieces.

I've been in contact with Kevin Valentine from the Ubuntu Pennsylvania
Team (which I am also a member of) about a project coming up.

The Philadelphia Stock Exchange donated 10 computers to an organization
called Girls Inc (girlsinc.com). One of the many things this group does
is install software on donated computers and give them to girls who
might not have the opportunity to have one otherwise.

Kevin and a few others convinced them to go with a dual boot, Windows
and Ubuntu. This weekend we'll be installing the first machine and
creating an image to put on the rest.

On during the day on June 9th we'll be getting together in Philadelphia
with Girls Inc, some people from the PA Ubuntu Team, and 5 or so of the
girls who are getting the computers. They're also looking to have some
local newspaper coverage.

Kevin contacted me because of my work with Ubuntu Women - but this is
really a local job for the PhillyChix! It would be great if a few of you
could join me at this event - be role models as women using Linux, and
help show these girls around Ubuntu.

We like to keep the "helpers" to an expected size, so please contact me
directly for information about specific time, location and directions
(some of us suburb chix might even be able to carpool)

Hope to see some of you there :)

Cheers,

Lyz

--
Elizabeth Bevilacqua // Lyz at PrincessLeia.com
http://www.princessleia.com