[Jobposts] Linux Systems Administrator at Complete Genomics, Inc.
trueabilityjobs at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 13:20:20 UTC 2015
Title: Linux Systems Administrator
Location: Mountain View, CA, USA.
Please visit following Link to Take a shortcut to Complete Genomics, Inc.
recruiter's inbox and take an Online Technical Interview On a Live Server
Sr Linux/Hadoop System Administrator is responsible for designing,
implementing, and operating infrastructure and systems automation for HPC
Linux/CentOS clusters and Hadoop ecosystems. Requires working closely with
the Software and Hardware engineering team to define goals and solutions.
To be considered, candidates must demonstrate an ability to provide high
levels of customer service, have built end to end application environment
experienced in supporting application development environment and
production rollout within a corporate computing environment. Additionally,
requires candidate to participate in a 24x7 rotational coverage.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Manage large scale Hadoop cluster environments, handling all Hadoop
environment builds, including design, capacity planning, cluster setup,
performance tuning and ongoing monitoring.
• Evaluate and recommend systems software and hardware for the enterprise
system including capacity modeling.
• Jointly responsible for maintaining customized Linux kernel derived from
CentOS in support of Production compute.
• Contribute to the evolving architecture of our storage service to meet
changing requirements for scaling, reliability, performance, manageability,
• Work with core production support personnel in IT and Engineering to
automate deployment and operation of the infrastructure. Manage, deploy
and configure infrastructure with Puppet or other automation toolset.
• Ability to work with and as a member of the IT Operations group as
required to refine our Production capabilities: testing, kernel issues,
compatibility and deployment of new versions of custom software.
• Identify hardware and software technical problems, storage and/or related
system malfunctions, as well as upgrade and deploy SANs, NAS and related
servers and services.
• Creation of metrics and measures of utilization and performance.
• Capacity planning and implementation of new/upgraded hardware and
software releases as well as for storage infrastructure.
• Help define OS standards and processes. Particularly processes like
initial deployment, promotion to production and change management. Working
knowledge of ITIL and ITSM methodologies.
• Responsible for monitoring the Linux community and report on important
changes/enhancements to the team.
• Ability to work well with a global team of highly motivated and skilled
personnel - interaction and dialog are requisite in this dynamic
• Research and recommend innovative, and where possible automated
approaches for system administration tasks. Identify approaches that
leverage our resources, provide economies of scale, and simplify
remote/global support issues.
• Manage and maintain monitoring to ensure uptime and SLA levels.
• Perform other work related duties as assigned.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering with a
minimum of 8 years of experience; or Master’s degree with a minimum of 6
years of experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Strong understanding of Hadoop eco system such as HDFS, MapReduce, HBase,
Zookeeper, Pig, Hadoop streaming, Sqoop, Oozie and Hive.
• Minimum 4 years of experience in Hadoop and related technology stack.
• A deep understanding of Hadoop design principals, cluster connectivity,
security and the factors that affect distributed system performance.
• Minimum of 8 years of large scale Linux/Unix/Operating system experience.
• Minimum of 5 years experience supporting critical applications on the
Linux/ Unix operating system including OS installation and upgrade, package
management, volume management, security auditing, and performance tuning.
• Experience with High Availability NAS and SAN technologies.
• Solid basis in systems management automation using industry-standard and
open-source tools such as Python, Perl, PHP, Bash, Puppet.
• Experience with complex networking infrastructure including firewalls,
VLANs, and load balancers.
• Prior experience with remote monitoring and event handling using Nagios,
• Solid ability to write scripts in languages like Tk, Perl, or a shell.
• Strong networking and Windows/Linux interoperability experience.
• Good collaboration & communication skills, ability to participate in
• Strong written communications and documentation experience
• Knowledge of best practices related to security, performance, and
More information about the Jobposts