[Jobposts] Calling all Web Developers and Technologists - Berkman is Hiring

Rebecca Tabasky rtabasky at cyber.law.harvard.edu
Thu Aug 2 15:12:08 UTC 2012

Hi there,

The Geek Cave in the Berkman Center for Internet & Society  in
Cambridge, MA is expanding.  We also now have a Senior Web Developer
<https://sjobs.brassring.com/1033/asp/tg/cim_jobdetail.asp?jobId=889677&PartnerId=25240&SiteId=5341&type=mail&JobReqLang=1&recordstart=1&JobSiteId=5341&JobSiteInfo=889677_5341&gqid=0>
position open in addition to the Senior Systems Architect
<https://sjobs.brassring.com/1033/asp/tg/cim_jobdetail.asp?jobId=881344&PartnerId=25240&SiteId=5341&type=mail&JobReqLang=1&recordstart=1&JobSiteId=5341&JobSiteInfo=881344_5341&gqid=0>,
Lead Platform Manager
<https://sjobs.brassring.com/1033/asp/tg/cim_jobdetail.asp?jobId=881338&PartnerId=25240&SiteId=5341&type=mail&JobReqLang=1&recordstart=1&JobSiteId=5341&JobSiteInfo=881338_5341&gqid=0>,
and Junior Web Developer
<https://sjobs.brassring.com/1033/asp/tg/cim_jobdetail.asp?jobId=865430&PartnerId=25240&SiteId=5341&type=mail&JobReqLang=1&recordstart=1&JobSiteId=5341&JobSiteInfo=865430_5341&gqid=0>
positions that we have recently posted.  The text for the new Senior Web
Developer is below; descriptions for the other positions can be found on
the Berkman site <http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/node/7716>.

These roles will all very substantially contribute to the Berkman
Center's mission to build out into cyberspace, and will afford the
staffers the opportunity to develop free and open source software and
work on challenging issues with brilliant and fun-loving collaborators.

If you have questions about these technical roles, please do not
hesitate to be in touch, and please note that applications must be
submitted through the Harvard Law School HR site.  As well, please share
along with candidates who you think might fit the bill!

All best,
Becca

----

*Senior Web Developer*
<https://sjobs.brassring.com/1033/asp/tg/cim_jobdetail.asp?jobId=889677&PartnerId=25240&SiteId=5341&type=mail&JobReqLang=1&recordstart=1&JobSiteId=5341&JobSiteInfo=889677_5341&gqid=0>

*Duties & Responsibilities*

The Berkman Center seeks an enthusiastic web applications developer with
strong people skills. The successful candidate will develop web-based
applications from the database to the UI. The position will also provide
project management support for some application development projects and
mentor (in an advisory and support role) junior developers. Position
expected to interface directly with clients, working with them to refine
vision and scope of projects. The developer will need to keep current
with tools and technologies of open source software development and
database architecture and will release much of their work under FOSS
licenses.

Working with great in-house talent, position is ideal for someone who
learns enjoys tinkering/solving a range of dynamic technology problems
and is comfortable in a fun, dynamic and fast-moving environment.
Candidate should have good customer service and communication skills; be
adept at working with both non-technical and technical people; able to
take initiative and follow through with minimal supervision; be patient,
curious, and perseverant; be flexible and be able to prioritize and to
manage multiple needs; works well as part of a team and independently.

Reports to Technology Director. As with all Berkman Center positions,
this is a term appointment funded through June 30, 2013; with strong
potential for continuation based on funding and institutional need.

*Basic Qualifications*

Bachelor's degree required. 6+ years of web application development
experience including 4+ years work experience with Ruby and PHP using
MVC development frameworks (ROR, Symfony, CodeIgniter). Full life cycle
development experience (technical design through implementation) required.

*Additional Qualifications - please note that this section lists a set
of desired technical skills.  We do not expect the ideal candidate to
come into the job possessing them all, but we do expect her or him to be
a quick and motivated learner.  We're flexible for the right candidate.
*

Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering or related field
preferred. Experience with agile, BDD and TDD software development
methods are highly desirable. Skills in Object-Oriented Design,
Application Architecture and Web Technologies (HTML, JavaScript, AJAX,
JSON, XML, CSS); skills in JS toolkits (jQuery, EXTJs, OpenLayers,
etc.); experience with RDBMS (MySQL, PostgreSQL) and noSQL DBs (couchDB,
mongoDB); strong command of web standards and best practices; experience
with web services (RESTful Rails, Apache, Tomcat, Nginx) and open source
applications (MediaWiki, Wordpress, Drupal, BrowserCMS, etc).
Familiarity with Perl and/or shell scripting, with Linux (Debin, Ubuntu,
CentOS) administration, Linux security best practices and
implementation, virtualization (XEN, QEMU/KVM), source control (SVN,
GIT) is a huge plus.

Excellent communication and technical skills; demonstrated ability to
take appropriate initiative and drive the development process;
demonstrated project planning and time management skills; ability to
work independently, assume leadership roles and work as part of a team.
Code samples will be required.

Candidate would thrive in dynamic, entrepreneurial, self-motivated
environment. Ability to work under tight deadlines crucial. Must be a
team player, able to work alone and in teams.

*Additional Information *

University is a research program founded to explore cyberspace, share in
its study, and help pioneer its development. Founded in 1997, through a
generous gift from Jack N. and Lillian R. Berkman, the Center is home to
an ever-growing community of faculty, fellows, staff, and affiliates
working on projects that span the broad range of intersections between
cyberspace, technology, and society. More information can be found at
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu.

Commitment to Diversity: The work and well-being of the Berkman Center
for Internet & Society at Harvard University are strengthened profoundly
by the diversity of our network and our differences in background,
culture, experience, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, and
much more. We actively seek and welcome applications from people of
color, women, the LGBTQ community, persons with disabilities and all
other diverse candidates, as well as applications from researchers and
practitioners from across the spectrum of disciplines and methods.