[Jobposts] Senior Systems Administrator at Quantcast (San Francisco, CA, USA)

Bill Umoff bumoff at quantcast.com
Thu Mar 25 22:23:44 UTC 2010

Hi All,

My name is Bill Umoff and I am part of the internal staffing team here at Quantcast.  Thank you for allowing me to post a job to your mailing list.

Quantcast is looking to hire a Linux/UNIX expert with extensive WAN experience. As we're currently collecting data from over 8 million page views a day, across 10 million directly measured sites, this is a unique opportunity to work on one of the largest computing infrastructures in the world. The ideal candidate should be excited by working on a global scale, multi-locational WAN, in a start-up environment. Our highly skilled team is small and tight-knit, providing the ideal environment for someone looking to make a visible impact and contribute to Quantcast's success.

Quantcast provides publishers, agencies and marketers unmatched abilities to measure, segment, and target audiences based upon inference models that couple machine learning with massive quantities of directly measured audience and reference data. This approach overcomes the challenges and limitations of traditional media measurement services that rely on panels and expands the limited delivery of retargeting approaches to reach a larger, more qualified audience.  We were recently named the #3 most innovative web company in 2010 by FastCompany, behind Facebook and Google, and we are roughly 80 employees.  We offer a full benefits package.  We offer a full benefits package, will consider candidates that are in the US but not local to San Francisco, and will offer relocation assistance as needed.  This is not a telecommuting position.

Responsibilities:
* Administration of existing global infrastructure
* Management of alarm/alert systems including familiarity with standard alarm and monitoring software/methods and development of new alert/monitoring subsystems
* "Lights out" and remote datacenter deployment and management
* Experience with management of large compute and serving clusters and associated issues such as automation, configuration management, deployment, inventory, hardware troubleshooting, system troubleshooting, etc.
* 24 hour on-call duty as necessary
* Some travel required

Requirements:
* Bachelor's in Computer Science, Networking or Electrical Engineering or equivalent professional experience
* Expert knowledge of Linux administration and production operations
* Understanding and tuning of Linux internals
* Extensive knowledge of networking protocols on the wire and by RFC, especially TCP/IP, HTTP, HTTPS, and DNS.
* Experience with package management systems like RPM for building and deploying custom software
* Extensive Experience scripting in Ruby, Python, or Perl
* Experience multi-datacenter deployments
* Flexibility to deal with novel, and fast-paced deployment environments
* Excellent planning and prioritization skills
* Vendor negotiation and management background a plus
* Experience running a production 24/7 web site

If you are qualified or interested in this position, please email bumoff at quantcast.com<mailto:bumoff at quantcast.com> or visit http://tbe.taleo.net/NA8/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=QUANTCAST&cws=1&rid=13 to apply directly.

Bill Umoff
bumoff at quantcast.com