[Jobposts] Senior Linux System Administrator in Torrance, CA

Andrew Maldonado amaldonado at pictage.com
Mon Jul 13 16:42:41 UTC 2009

Hi Everyone,

The following is a description of a Senior Linux System
Administrator position in Torrance, Ca.  Start date
is ASAP.  If interested or know someone who is interested and fit the
criteria, please email me an updated resume for review.

Senior Linux Systems Administrator
We are looking for an individual with solid experience in Linux system
administration and architectural design of highly available, scalable,
distributed systems. An ideal candidate should have a minimum of five
years of experience in an environment with at least 30 Linux/Unix
systems. The candidate would be familiar with High Availability
and Clustering techniques. In addition, an ideal candidate would have
achieved a minimum of a Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or closely
related field or related experience.

Operating Systems:
• Linux/Unix (CentOS/RedHat/Fedora preferred)

Hardware:
• Knowledge of i386 architecture and peripherals
• RAID systems
• Tape library management

Programming Languages:
• Unix Shell scripting (sh/bash/etc)
• Perl scripting, CGI, DBD
• Ability to read C/C++/Java, compile, debug, and install OpenSource
programs
• Ability to write in C and/or Java

Software (mostly Open Source):
• Monitoring software (e.g. Nagios/Cacti)
• Databases (e.g. MySQL, PostgreSQL preferred)
• Mail systems (e.g. SMTP mailers, Sendmail, Postfix, Procmail)
• DNS systems (e.g. Bind)
• Webservices (e.g. Apache, Tomcat)
• Java containers/engines. We use Tomcat. Experience deploying
  scalable Java applications a plus.
• Backup systems (e.g. Amanda)
• Support for High Availability computing (load balancing, redundancy)

Networking:
• Understanding of TCP/IP and UDP protocols, internetworking
• Firewalls and internet security
• Networked filesystems (e.g. NFS. OpenAFS preferred)
• Gigabit networking with Cisco routers/switches
• Understanding of issues with data located at geographically separated
  locations.

Skills:
• Experience compiling Linux/Unix kernels and kernel modules
• Software management (e.g. RPM, yum, apt, etc.)
• Large Storage solutions (preferred)
• Ability to research complex problems and find OpenSource and/or Custom
  solutions
• Analyzing and debugging a wide variety of hardware and software
problems

Thanks,
-
Andrew Maldonado