[Jobposts] (Job in Melbourne, Australia) SitePoint needs a Technical Editor!

Raena Jackson Armitage raena.armitage at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 07:27:11 UTC 2009

Hi,

While this isn't strictly a computing-only job, there's plenty of good
geeky stuff going on within it!

A new Technical Editor is wanted at SitePoint -- I'm moving into a
different position within the company, so we're looking for a
replacement to work with SitePoint's online offerings (sitepoint.com)
and books (sitepoint.com/books).

A technical editor at SitePoint is responsible for making sure that
the content of our books and website articles are absolutely top notch
in terms of technical awesomeness -- that means ensuring that it all
makes sense, correcting errors in the text, and ensuring that the
provided code examples and such work properly.  You'll coach our
authors through writing a book by providing good feedback and
generally being encouraging. Then, you'll form part of the team which
prepares the books for the press using DocBook XML.

Asides from books, you'd be helping research interesting new topics,
doing some writing and development of your own, and other fun stuff as
befitting your interests and skills. For example, just over the last
couple of weeks I've written a personality test script in PHP, hacked
on the e-commerce and newsletter systems on the website, and mocked up
the user interface for a Flash app -- all in between the regular work
with books and articles.

We have a laid back and flexible environment -- come to work in casual
clothes, make yourself an espresso, and challenge someone to a turn on
the foosball table! We have a top-notch social club, with monthly
events for members and perks such as a gym membership and personal
training. Nearby there are dozens of yummy lunchtime options,
including a couple of supermarkets, plenty of choices for all
requirements and tastes (Gluten free? Kosher? Vegan? Halal? You got
it!), and a number of good pubs.

Collingwood and North Richmond train stations, and the 86, 24, 31 and
109 trams are close by. There's secure parking for bikes, plus some
good all-day car parking options nearby.

You should have very strong English skills but you don't have to be a
'real editor' with the red pens and squiggly lines and such -- we have
one of those already. (Of course, if you come from a publishing,
online media or writing background in addition to your geek
superpowers, that doesn't hurt one bit!) We'd expect you to have some
familiarity with a broad range of Web and backend technologies, and
some practical experience in related fields. SitePoint is located in
Melbourne, Australia; if you're not already nearby, we'd like it if
you were prepared to relocate.

Your salary is negotiable depending on your experience.

You can read more about this position here:
http://www.sitepoint.com/about/jobs/job2-technical_editor.php

And about what it's like to work for us, here:
http://www.sitepoint.com/about/jobs/

Perhaps you know someone else who'd be perfect for the job? If you
refer a candidate we hire we'll give you a shiny new iPhone 3G in
thanks for the tipoff!
Send your friend a note about the job:
http://www.sitepoint.com/about/referral/techeditor/

Regards,