[Jobposts] Seeking Software Engineer for nextstop.com

Carl Sjogreen carl at nextstop.com
Wed Aug 19 05:19:31 UTC 2009

nextstop.com, a recently launched community site founded by a team of
ex-Google Software Engineers and Product managers is looking to hire a full
time software engineer at our offices in San Francisco, CA.  All applicants
must be eligible to work in the US, and in or willing to relocate to San
Francisco.
*
About nextstop*:
nextstop is a recently launched service that helps people discover authentic
places and experiences all over the world.  We've built a platform that lets
people easily share the things they love doing most where they live and
where they've been -- whatever that may be: eating, art, outdoor activities,
great things for families, etc. -- and in aggregate are putting together a
database of some of the most interesting things to get out and do wherever
you are.

We're still at a very early stage, but have received a lot of positive
press<http://www.nextstop.com/press/>,
and are growing our user and content base quickly. We've got a small,
high-powered team and believe that with the right people we can build an
important product and sizable business with a very small team.
*
About the job*:
We're looking to hire an additional software engineer who can help deliver
new features that will delight our users.  As a small team, its critical
that we hire people who are generalists, and are excited about owning a
feature from front end coding (html/css/javascript) to back end design.  Its
an opportunity to be a key member of a small team and shape how the product,
our engineering culture, architecture, and code base evolve over time -- but
also comes with the responsibility to come in and hit the ground running.
We have no set job description, title, or salary, and are looking to hire
someone who wants to apply their technical knowledge to solving interesting
problems in this space and helping to keep nextstop fast moving and
innovative.  At a minimum, however, applicants must have:

* A BS/MS in Computer Science or substantial equivilent work experience.
* 2-3 years of experience as a software engineer at a consumer software
company (ideally web-based, but packaged software is OK too)
* Experience working with Unix/Linux, Python, Mysql, Apache, Solr,
JavaScript, information retrieval, network programming, and/or colo setup a
plus
* Demonstrated enthusiasm for the product or space (impress us with some
feedback on the product; get ignored by sending a generic cover letter).

Please see http://www.nextstop.com/jobs/ for more information and how to
apply.