[Jobposts] Request to post a position
yancyr at google.com
Tue Mar 11 18:45:50 UTC 2008
*Unix System/Applications Administrator, Google.com*
* This position is available in Mountain View, CA/ Santa Monica, CA/
NewYork,NY/ Kirkland, WA/
Seattle, WA /Dublin, Ireland, and Zurich, Switzerland, and Sydney, AU.*
- ... a seasoned Unix jockey, database wizard, performance specialist,
networking guru, and code slinger all rolled into one?
- ... looking for the next cool problem to solve, in a fast-paced and
- ... into writing scripts which perform practically the entire job
you once held earlier in your career?
- ... entertained in your off hours by taking things apart just to see
how they work? Are you successful putting them back together when you're
- ... excited by the idea of making Google even faster, more reliable,
more available, more – well, Googly?
If you answered "Yes" to more than three of the above questions, you may be
our kind of sysadmin! Keep reading.
Google.com team members are involved in every facet of Google's production
site. From design issues to troubleshooting, from performance analysis to
capacity planning, from DNS to networking to application [mis]behavior,
Google.com engineers are ultimately responsible for making sure that Google
always works. We take that responsibility very, very seriously, but if you
think you've got what it takes then we're eager to talk with you.
Working in the Google.com team, you will wear many hats: first responder,
performance analyst, service architect, system/database administrator,
capacity planner, tools developer, monitoring expert, and technicalevangelist,
for Google's entire production site.
In this role you will need:
- Expertise in Unix system administration, including configuration,
troubleshooting, and automation.
- Fluency in at least one scripting/coding language.
- Experience running high-traffic web services, including requirements
& capacity analysis, service configuration, monitoring & troubleshooting,
and change management.
- Strong understanding of IP networking, including familiarity with
the functionality, operating, and failure modes of common networking
devices, and the ability to analyze network behavior, performance and
application issues using standard tools like tcpdump.
- BA/BS in CS or related field, or equivalent experience.
- 3 - 5 years experience with Unix systems administration (5-15 years
for Sr. position)
- Solid scripting skills in Shell, PHP, Perl or Python.
- Proven technical troubleshooting and performance tuning experience.
- Experience in a high-volume or critical production service
- Ability to handle periodic on-call duty as well as out-of-band
- Tack-sharp analytical abilities.
- A strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive.
- Fluent written communication and unusual verbal agility are strong
- SQL experience a plus, MySQL a plus.
- Experience leading short projects involving outside teams is a plus.
Technical Sourcer, Google Inc.
Mountain View, California U.S.A.
Office: (650) 214-2797
More information about the Jobposts