[Jobposts] Senior Staff Software Engineer - Linux Kernel

Dan Fick dfick at lightfleet.com
Tue Oct 9 17:22:32 UTC 2007

Lightfleet Corporation - Senior/Staff Software Engineer - Linux Kernel

Posted by Dan Fick, an employee of Lightfleet.

Lightfleet is a fast growing, privately funded US company located in Camas,
Washington. We are currently looking for talented, dynamic individuals with
a passion for technology and a desire to be part of the next evolution of
systems design. We offer competitive salaries, benefits for you and your
dependents, and the ability to participate in the company's growth through
stock options.

Lightfleet Corporation has invented the world's first free-space broadcast
optical interconnect. This patented technology is unique in that it uses
broadcast light to simultaneously and continuously interconnect multiple
nodes so that all nodes can see all of the data all of the time.

Simply put, Lightfleet has created a new way for computers to communicate
using light instead of wires. Our first product is 1/3 the size and uses 1/3
the electricity while also being significantly faster than any comparable
products.

"We make light work."

Senior/Staff Software Engineer - Linux Kernel

We are looking for an experienced kernel developer to take a leadership role
in designing and implementing the device driver stack for Lightfleet's
innovative optical interconnect. The successful candidate will have an
unequalled opportunity to make an impact on product decisions and even
direction.
The primary focus will be on networking, but other areas such as power
management and diagnostics are also of interest. Lightfleet is a dynamic
start-up, so versatility and a pragmatic, positive, customer-focused
approach is a must.

Responsibilities:

. Developing, releasing, and supporting modifications to the Linux Kernel
. Taking ownership of a functional area and providing technical guidance to
other team members
. Working community projects to ensure that patches and fixes that enable
the Lightfleet technology are accepted into the mainstream
. Working in a cross-functional setting to define Lightfleet's second
generation products

Minimum qualifications

. Motivated, self-starter, able to take ownership of a major function
. BS or equivalent experience
. 4 years' experience in Linux kernel development
. Technical leadership and providing guidance to junior engineers
. Shell scripting in bash, Bourne, or Perl

Desired qualifications - at least one of:

. Start-up experience
. Track record of contributions to open-source
. Low-level hardware device programming, firmware and bring-up
. Solaris device drivers
. Experience in the Linux network stack, Infiniband, or iWarp
. Safety-critical projects
. Previous experience in the Linux network stack or device drivers for
clustering, Infiniband, or iWarp

For More Information:
Please visit our website at www.lightfleet.com

To Apply:

If you have the skills and experience required for this position, please
submit your resume to careers at lightfleet.com.

Lightfleet Corporation is an equal opportunity employer.

Additional Information:

1.	Which country are you in?  (USA)
2.	Will you take international applicants? (Unfortunately not at this
time).
3.	Do folks need pre-existing work visas for your country? (Yes)
4.	Is a relocation allowance part of the salary package? (Yes)
5.	Can we telecommute? (Possibly but not preferred)