[Jobposts] Senior Postgres DBA for Backcountry.com

Greer Hitch ghitch at backcountry.com
Fri May 11 17:44:25 UTC 2007

Senior Postgres DBA

Backcountry.com has an outstanding opportunity for an experienced senior
level Postgres DBA to join our Infrastructure team. The ideal candidate will
assist in maintaining, tuning, and building out our databases. We are a
fast-paced company that has seen 70+% growth year over year since we've been
in business, and we are passionate about what we do. If you're passionate
about life and your career, this could be the opportunity for you.

Required Skills:

-Solid experience administering/maintaining PostgreSQL;

-Solid understanding of RDBM concepts and normalization principles;

-Comfortable managing multiple database servers in a high-traffic
environment;

-Comfortable with complex SQL queries involving sub-selects, views,

CASEs, functions, etc.;

-Comfortable learning and working with custom software;

-Excellent communication skills;

-Works well in team environment;

-Shows demonstrated ability to take on challenges.

Preferred Skills:

-Experience with administering linux servers;

-Excellent Perl skills.

Considerations:

This full-time position is benefits eligible and is located in Salt Lake
City,

Utah, with occasional travel to Park City.

Perks

-The Backcountry.com environment stresses quality without forgetting the
importance of fun. We ride the resorts in the mornings, dawn patrol and
climb in the canyons, hit the dirt jumps, trail run, trail ride, hike, camp,
surf, skate, and play lots of ping pong.

-We use the gear we sell - all employees are privy to incredible gear deals
across a huge range of outdoor sports, action sports, and lifestyle
products.

-Backcountry.com continuously demonstrates phenomenal growth each quarter.
All employees have strong opportunity for tremendous career advancement and
growth.

To Apply:

Please apply online here:

https://home.eease.com/recruit/?id=16093

Please answer the following questions in the notes section when you apply.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.

1.   Why use Postgres for large scale enterprise database solutions versus

a commercial product like Oracle?

2.   List the top three reasons for a query to run slow, and how to

address each to speed up the query.

3.   Rate yourself on your understanding of Postgres' internals between 1

(being no understanding) and 10 (regular contributor to the core

development of Postgres).  Give some reasons why you rated yourself with

that value.

4.    How would you find out what percentage of a given table is dead
tuples?

5.     What are your three best strengths?

6.     What is your desired salary range?

7.     Why do you want to work at Backcountry.com?

Equal Opportunity Employer

We Use the Gear We Sell

Contact:

Ms. Greer Hitch