[Jobposts] Linux systems administrator wanted for Australian national grid project
csamuel at vpac.org
Mon Jul 23 01:53:25 UTC 2007
* Help build a grid across Australia!
* Relaxed work environment.
* Melbourne CBD fringe, easy access to trains and tram.
* Salary around $50-60K plus package contingent on experience.
* Fixed term contract - 12 months.
* Open to Australian residents with a right to work.
* Closing date: August 2nd (AEST).
The Victorian Partnership for Advanced Computing Limited (VPAC) has an unique
opportunity for a Linux systems administrator to assist with the operation of
an Australia wide Grid computing platform.
Reporting to the ICI Operations Manager, you will be working primarily in a
Linux systems administrator role with Grid toolkits such as Globus and VDT.
You will be involved in a National Project to provide Grid Based Computing
available across Australia. The ability to work with and support our end
users (typically scientific researchers and software developers) is very
important in this role. Some national and international travel will be
To be successful in this role you will need Linux experience. A degree in
Computer Science or a closely related field would be highly regarded, though
Key Selection Criteria
- A sound knowledge of UNIX or LINUX at a systems level.
- Skills in programming in a scripting language such as Python, Perl or
- Good communication skills.
- Experience with Grid Computing Technology or tools such as Globus, XML,
XEN, Tomcat, Web Services, OpenSSL, X509 certificates.
- Experience in building and packaging custom Linux systems.
To be considered for this role candidates MUST include a skills matrix on
their covering letter stating their level of understanding (beginner,
intermediate, some experience or advanced) of the following:
- Linux Use
- Linux Management
- Scripting (Bash, Perl, Python)
- Grid Toolkits (Globus, Tomcat, x509 etc)
Applicants with Grid related skills are advised to detail them in their
Remuneration will be commensurate with your skills and experience.
VPAC is a not-for-profit Registered Research Agency and an equal opportunity
employer. We and offer an exciting opportunity in a modern work environment
with excellent employment conditions and career progression opportunities.
Please send resumes, along with a cover letter and academic transcripts to
recruitment at vpac.org, job reference number SYS0607.
For technical questions about the position please contact the ICI Operations
Manager, David Bannon <dbannon at vpac.org>, on (03) 9925 4733.
For HR related questions about this and other positions at VPAC please call
our HR manager Pereeta Patel <pereeta at vpac.org> on (03) 9925 4193.
Christopher Samuel - (03) 9925 4751 - Systems Manager
The Victorian Partnership for Advanced Computing
P.O. Box 201, Carlton South, VIC 3053, Australia
VPAC is a not-for-profit Registered Research Agency
More information about the Jobposts