[Jobposts] Database Administrator
gutholmj at evergreen.edu
Wed Dec 26 19:26:51 UTC 2007
There is currently one full-time, overtime-exempt Information
Technology Specialist 5 – Database Administrator position available
Computing & Communications’ Network Services work unit at the Olympia
Campus of The Evergreen State College.
Complete information is available at:
The Evergreen State College is a progressive, public liberal arts and
sciences college located in Olympia, Washington, in the beautiful
Pacific Northwest. Since opening its doors in 1971, Evergreen has
established a national reputation for leadership in developing
innovative interdisciplinary, collaborative and team-taught academic
programs. The college has a vibrant undergraduate program, a
graduate program, and seven public service centers that constitute a
unique academic setting. The College values a student-centered
learning environment, a link between theory and practice, and a
multicultural community of diverse faculty, students and staff
working together. Current enrollment is approximately 4,500. For
more information about Evergreen, please visit our college catalog or
our website: http://www.evergreen.edu
· Experience and training may be considered in salary placement.
· Salary range is $4,912 to $6,446 per month.
· A full state benefits package which includes: paid sick and
vacation leave; paid campus holidays; a generous medical, dental,
life and disability insurance package for employees and dependents;
retirement; deferred compensation and optional supplemental
retirement accounts. For more information about Evergreen's
excellent employee benefits, please visit http://www.evergreen.edu/
· After completion of the probationary period, employees are
eligible for the tuition waiver program.
This position is responsible for enhancement, maintenance and support
of enterprise database management systems for The Evergreen State
College. This position also provides expert consultation to
programmer/analysts in the areas of programming for performance and
security in relational database management systems.
Four years of information technology experience such as consulting,
analyzing, designing, programming, installing and/or maintaining
computer software applications, hardware, telecommunications, or
network infrastructure equipment, directing projects, providing
customer or technical support in information technology; or
administering or supervising staff who performed work in any of these
information technology disciplines.
· Maintain and support mission-critical enterprise database
management systems such as Oracle and Microsoft SQL Server. Tasks
include installation of vendor software, planning for database growth
and space requirements and establishing performance measures for
· Design, develop and implement on-site backup and recovery
procedures and schedules for database management servers, including
the development and implementation of test plans for disaster
recovery in these areas.
· Review data models and design specifications for security and
performance implications. Recommend practices and standards for
implementation relating to these topics.
· Analyze and resolve complex problems associated with the
installation and maintenance of n-tier client/server applications.
· Develop project plans for upgrades and implementations of
Database Management Systems such as Oracle, Microsoft SQL server.
· Plan and coordinate and perform the installation and upgrades of
two-tier and three-tier client/server database applications (e.g.
Banner, Resource 25, Transcript imaging).
· Conduct capacity planning to determine institution wide needs
associated with database applications.
· Design consulting and development support for multi-tier
enterprise applications particularly in the areas of systems
interfaces and security.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
· Cross-team project leadership skill and ability.
· Expert knowledge of and advanced skill in installing,
configuring, tuning and supporting large-scale relational database
management systems, server applications and structured query language
· Ability to work collaboratively and independently in a culturally
diverse community with other systems specialists, programmer/
analysts, users and managers.
· Expert knowledge of relational database software such as Oracle
and Microsoft SQL Server.
· Expert knowledge of Structured Query Language (SQL).
· Ability to rapidly learn new technologies, operating systems and
· Ability to manage high risk/high visibility projects.
· Knowledge of TCP/IP protocols and configuration.
· Ability to solve complex technology problems.
· Ability to work independently.
· Ability to lead a project team.
· Good oral and written communications skills
· Experience supporting databases on a variety of operating systems
such as OpenVMS, Unix and Windows.
· Knowledge of web server Software such as Internet Information
Server and Apache
· Knowledge of web scripting languages such as PL/SQL, ASP, PHP and
More information about the Jobposts