[Jobposts] Java Developer - "Programmer Analyst II" - Texas

Fazia Begum Rizvi fazia at faziarizvi.net
Fri Aug 3 16:04:36 UTC 2007

My department here at Texas State University in San Marcos, Texas is
hiring. We're looking for someone with JAVA and web application skills.
For a cool, sort of insider's view of the benefits of working here, see my
co-worker's description of the job here:
http://www.mcmains.net/2007/08/03/come-work-with-me/

(Not of all of what he describes are *official* university benefits.
Rather, some of them are just what our little development group does that
makes us fun to work with.)

DO NOT respond directly to me. Go to Texas State's Employment web site
and follow the instructions there:
https://jobs.hr.txstate.edu/

Job Title is: Programmer Analyst II (System Project Staff)- Instructional
Technologies Support
Job number is: 2007405

The official job description is below.

PLEASE NOTE that since we are a state agency, the process can take a
little longer than applying for a corporate job. Have patience while you
wait for a response. Also remember to fill out EVERYTHING. Dot all your
i's and cross all your t's and make sure you've addressed every job
requirement in some way in the official _application_ and not just your
cover letter. Upside to this process is you absolutely _will_ get a reply,
unlike sometimes dropping your application ito the black hole of other
open job positions.

-Fazia Rizvi

Position Information

Job Title: Programmer Analyst II (System Project Staff) - Instructional
Technologies Support

Job Description: 	Design code, test, implement, maintain, and
support applications software, according to project specifications,
statements of problems, detailed logical flows and/or established
standards. Participate in solution design and performance monitoring. Help
select development tools and approaches.

Works closely with clients and team members to develop project
requirements.

Evaluate impact of patch sets on custom software. Maintain relevant data
and metrics on own and team's performance; develop plans for improvement.
Provide clear and effective documentation. Anticipate, identify,
communicate, resolve and/or escalate problems and issues; implement
quality improvements activities.

Maintain effective communications. Provide inputs to change management and
training of end users.

Involved in application design and development activities related to
content management systems, learning management systems and other related
instructional technologies.
Additional Information for Applicants 	This is a benefits eligible one
year term appointment, with the possibility of being renewed annually.

This position will report to the Project Manager.

Employment with Texas State University-San Marcos is contingent upon the
outcome of a criminal history background check.

YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO ELECTRONICALLY ATTACH A RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO
THE APPLICATION.

Texas State is committed to increasing the number of women and minorities
in administrative and professional positions.

Texas State University-San Marcos is a member of the Texas State
University System.
Texas State University-San Marcos is an EOE.
Required Qualifications 	Knowledge and experience with Java, OOP
and scripting languages.

Experience with web site and web application development experience (HTML,
CSS).

Understanding of Object Oriented Design

Basic system administration experience in a Unix/Linux environment

Efficient and effective verbal and written communication skills.

Good interpersonal skills, ability to work effectively in a
standards-driven, team environment.

Preferred Qualifications:
Experience with the following:
Apache and Tomcat
Ruby, Rails, Perl
XML/XSL
Oracle, MySQL
Quality Assurance
Web Content Management
Knowledge of Agile Development Methodologies

Department 	Instructional Technologies Support
Pay Rate 	Commensurate with experience
Pay Basis 	Monthly
Job Open Date 	08-01-2007
Job Close Date (Positions close at 5:00 PM CST) 	08-15-2007
Job Category 	Exempt
Job Type 	Full-Time
Normal Work Days 	Monday through Friday
Normal Work Hours 	8 a.m. to 5 p.m.