[Jobposts] Linux Systems Administrator - work from home!

Erica Douglass slashchick at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 02:47:35 UTC 2007

Hi all,

We have opened a position for a Linux systems administrator where you
can work from home, full-time, for my web hosting company. You will
work closely with our 6 other employees. I'd really like to hire a
*Chix for this position.

Compensation: Hourly, DOE; U.S. employees may be eligible for
benefits. This is a full-time position.

Hours REQUIRED: 9AM EST - 5PM EST (please do not apply if you cannot
work these hours or no more than 2 hours off of these)

Fast-growing company seeks motivated Linux systems administrator

Simpli Hosting, Inc. is a small, fast-growing web hosting company with
offices in downtown San Jose, CA. We are looking for a Linux systems
administrator. You will be an integral part of our team, and the
primary contact for our customers to interface with our backend
datacenter staff. You must be motivated by challenges, interested in
helping our customers architect solutions for their web and email
hosting needs.

If you have experience with Linux, and want to prove that you are
ready to take on a position with challenges, questions, and demands
that vary every day, this position is for you!

Your main responsibilities will include:
•	Day-to-day direct customer contact. You will be the primary contact
for web hosting customers with questions about their email and web
hosting solutions. You will answer the phone if they call (we will
provide phone) and respond to support tickets, as well as talk to
customers over instant messenger/Skype.
•	Troubleshooting specific issues – everything from strange kernel
panics to "My email doesn't work." Our customers are typically
technically savvy and know what they are doing, so the questions that
come through the pipeline can be complex. Most of our customers use
CentOS, Red Hat, or Debian, so the more experienced you are with these
operating systems, the better.
•	Assigning tasks to our datacenter staff and prioritizing tickets
appropriately. We have basic ticket prioritization in place already,
but you will be responsible for making quick decisions as to what
receives your highest priority and what our datacenter techs will be
working on (with help from our CEO and other team members.)
•	Network comprehension and troubleshooting. While we have a network
"guru" on call, you must understand the basics of networking, such as
routing protocols, subnetting, and where and why to use a VLAN; you
may also be required to quickly update settings on a Cisco switch or
deploy new hardware into our network. Our most commonly-used Cisco
commands have been documented for you, but we'd prefer it if you're
already familiar with some basic Cisco configuration.
•	Documenting procedures on our company wiki for common tasks such as
installing a firewall solution, and not-so-common tasks (Exim
configuration, for instance) that you think may be useful to our staff
in the future.

Required skills:
•	A passion for making sure our customers get the best solution
possible. That includes load balancing, firewall, VPN, and other
services as they desire. You should, with the help of our CEO and
other team members, be able to design, build, and deploy custom web
hosting solutions for our customers.
•	Experience with troubleshooting "Linux gone wrong". Apache, MySQL,
Exim, kernel panics, Perl, shell scripting, and basic PHP skills.
•	Significant experience with Red Hat and Debian, particularly in a
web/mail server environment.
•	An interest in learning and being challenged, as well as a
willingness to speak up when needed.
•	Willingness to have some "on-call" shifts in case our customers need
emergency systems administration support at night.

Preferred skills:
•	Experience with Netscreen firewalls;
•	Experience with Cisco switches;
•	Nagios/Cacti administration experience;
•	Windows 2003 server administration experience. (Yes, we do have a
few customers on Windows.)

This is a full-time position. You have the option of choosing a salary
or hourly pay plan. Some "on-call" evening and weekend work will be
required. On-call work will carry a higher hourly rate. Employment
benefits include a free colocation package or dedicated server package
for you to use as long as you remain an employee. Health care is also
provided (optional).

Please send a resume with your work history and salary requirements to
jobs at simpli.biz. Include your location, a phone number and/or AIM
screen name, and the best time to contact you. Please also include a
description of your previous web hosting experience (even if it's just
hosting a personal web site; we'd like to hear about it!) We will be
conducting interviews this week.

Resumes without the following information will be discarded:
•	Your location;
•	Hours of availability;
•	Salary requirements.

Thank you!