[IndiChix] IRC planning meeting to promote FOSS among women in India

स्वक्ष svaksha at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 02:51:38 UTC 2013

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 5:09 PM, Satabdi Das <satabdidas at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are having an IRC meeting on Monday 29 April at 9pm IST to discuss how we
> can promote FOSS among women in India. We will be meeting at channel
> #wfs-india at irc.freenode.net

Satabdi, Thanks for the initiative.  Just joined the channel and
missed the meet y'day. It would be nice if you (or anyone who
attended) could post a summary (or logs - totally respect it if there
are none) to the list.

>  - why and if at all do we need a group to promote FOSS among women in India

We do. Off the top of my head, I am not aware of any generic lists
whose focus is to promote FOSS among women in India - Other than
LC-IN/Indichix (the mailing list you posted to), and we have an irc
channel by the same name on the LC server.
Systers has GHC (an event) but no mailing lists for India afaik. If
anyone knows of any Foss lists for women in India, do share.

>  - how we can improve networking among women in software in India
>  - how we can unite to address common issues faced by women in technology in
> India
>  - how we can help each other to build skills, expertise and grow
> professionally and personally
>  - if we can organize an event (something on the line of adacamp - (I really
> love the idea)) in India.

Sounds good. I'd love to see a grass roots event that encouraged women
into Foss, was open (ala, an unconference like Barcamp but for
women-into-foss) to women from all fields interested in FOSS, and not
just working in Tech. There is a difference but lets not digress.

Talking of events, just FYI, there is Systers/ABI organizing the GHC
in India: http://gracehopper.org.in/
Its their fourth year and last week they had an organizers meet in BLR
- let me know if you are interested and I can give you the details of
the various cities it is being held in.

Ciao,
--
Best,  Vid  ॥ http://svaksha.com