[IndiChix] An Open request to LinuxChix-India

Sriram Narayanan sriramnrn at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 05:52:21 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 10:56 AM, Gayathri Swaminathan
<gayathri.swa at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 11:15 PM, Kingsly John <member+indichix at kingsly.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> +++ Gayathri Swaminathan [2009-01-04 20:03:56]:
>>
>> > After being here slightly over a year and observing activities of this
>> > community, it appears the following members actively engage in several
>> > LinuxChix-India's activities:
>> >
>> > - Aneesha
>> > - Ankita
>> > - Archana
>> > - Barkha
>> > - Hassath
>> > - Runa
>> > - Swati
>> > - Vidya
>>
>> Care to explain how Swati fits in the list above?
>>
>>  - She's not been on the list for a long time.
>>  - Hasn't bothered to reply or state her case in this thread for the past
>> week.
>>  - Has refused to share control of the domain.
>>  - And has had Atul speak for her that she'll keep renewing the domain
>> forever.
>>  - And has a past history of usurping domains that were paid for by her
>> and
>>   transfered from a community and a registered non-profit society (BLUG)
>>   some private entity (Linux Bangalore).
>>
>> I am curious to your reasoning why such a person deserves to have any kind
>> of
>> control over the domain.
>>
>> Kingsly
>>
>> PS: Obviously -1 on the votes.
>
> Kingsly,
>
> The reason I still view Swati as a LinuxChix is when it all started, she
> helped with the initial infrastructure ( that's what I gather from archives/
> past)

We must ofcourse not forget what various members and ex-members have
done. Kingsly's point is simply that if you are discussing the
formation of groups, etc, it seems irrelevant to include a person who
has moved on. I understand if you wish to keep her informed for old
times' sake, since we'll all people after all.

> I have not had any personal issues with Swati or Atul to cite references as
> you do repeatedly.

Atul Chitnis has been my hero in the past. However, the language that
he has used on a women-focussed list, and the fact that he has caused
issues in the past, have left me really disappointed. I have used the
word "fact" here because while Atul has given his side, his story has
been clearly refuted :(. I've made my own enquiries with other people
not on this list, and their story is no different from that given by
Kinglsy.

So even though Atul has not caused me any problems in person, as a
community member, I consider it important that we safeguard the
interests of the community first.

> Having said that the domain owner for a chapter must be a group of women.

+1. Glad that the active speakers on these recent threads are on the same page.

> Recent incidents might have caused some bitterness however the initial
> founders/supporters still have rightful concerns about this chapter.

It's just the people who feel as the initial founders/supporters seem
to have no interest in responding here to any statements about them.
I feel that at least the domain ownser has chosen to move on in her
life, and we must respect that, but continue to safeguard our own
interests.