[IndiChix] Unresolved issues [was] LC-india domain

Sriram Narayanan sriramnrn at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 05:40:35 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 8:21 AM, Vid Ayer <vid at svaksha.com> wrote:

> That said, I'd request people to stop jumping to conclusions and
> fuelling or sidetracking the moot issue : how do we keep the
> linuxchix.org.in domain with the project. Suggestions are welcome but
> trolling, and nastiness is not.

Responding too early could be a problem, and too many responses can
also appear to be a lot of brouhaha over what is really a simple
matter. Nonetheless, I want to chime in and point out the following:

1.  Let's avoid fallacies (especially red herrings)
I see on this specific post that Vidya has spent time addressing
various fallacies. Some of these seem to be red herrings.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies#Red_herring_fallacies

2. Identify core issues and address them right away.
As a sysadmin, I have learned this the hard way. Ignoring a problem,
not speaking up on a giving discussion, etc could be diplomatic in
nature, but would affect everything in the long run.

Here are my responses to some points that Vidya has addressed on this thread:
1. Hosting technologies are not daunting for sysadmins.
There are a few sysadmins on this list and elsewhere. Setting up
infrastructure is not going to be a problem, and can actually be
completed within hours. I speak from experience as a sysadmin.

2. Organizing events and activities can fortunately be taken up at any time.
I believe that anyone on this list is free to call for a meet. This
has been my impression, and I urge all to continue to maintain this
message.

Now that we have those out of the way,

3. Let's address the domain issue.
Though a new member, I see that Vidya has not received sufficient
public +1s. This is very likely due to the holiday season, and also
perhaps likely because I have realized that women may not wish to get
into mud slinging and other altercations - unlike us me.
Nevertheless, public support for a community member's proposal is a necessity.

Here is my +1 to Vid's plea for discussing the moot point -> Keeping
the domain with the project. As we have already seen on this list, the
upstream admins have no problems with pointing their DNS entries to an
IP proposed for by this list. So, whereas Plan B can be implemented
very easily, I propose as a community member that we ought to address
the moot point and also set up a precedent.

As a community member, I consider it important to establish once and
for all just what's the deal with the domain ownership, who active
members are, whether technology issues are a problem, and whe

Kingsly John's responses yesterday are an eye-opener and also on the
list for posterity. Let us not ignore that.

-- Sriram