[IndiChix] Unresolved issues [was] LC-india domain

Vid Ayer vid at svaksha.com
Fri Jan 2 02:51:11 UTC 2009

Hello everyone,

Happy 2009.  Thanks Hassath and Archu for stemming the vitriolic
personal attacks and a Big thanks to all those who saw the issues at
hand and did the right thing by speaking up for the Indichix project.

To put things in perspective :

* For all those jumping to conclusions about people leaving and
splitting the group, please stop the illogical false claims and
hyperbole. That is neither polite nor helping this group.
* Just a note, that in the last one year we have almost doubled the
number of list members and we will only improve with time.

On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 9:48 PM, Gayathri Swaminathan
<gayathri.swa at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for getting us back on track. Now the "why" is clear, lets do focus
> on the "how" part this year.

TBH, your mails are confusing and its not clear what you are
proposing. Care to explain how 'we are back on track' and what is the
"why" and "how" part. As many others have pointed out the domain
[http://linuxchix.org.in] is still controlled by a woman who left this
list of her own accord, is not a part of the LC-IN project's
activities, and never informed us the domain will expire in Dec2008,
but quietly renewed it, again, without informing the members.

That said, threatening to fork the project is not the best way to
behave in a community. Quoting the LC motto "Be polite, Be
respectful", I'd add that "People come and go, Projects remain" and
any community is made up of its people. LC was specifically created 10
years ago because of the negativity and nastiness that used to exist
and Deb wanted to change that in the Libre software community. Do we
want to go ahead or reverse all the work that so many women have done
over the decade? Time to think about the road ahead.

> Perhaps work on efforts under two heads:
>
> - Technical implications - meaning domain registration, hosting,

Moot point remains unsolved, see above.  Surely you agree that
projects should be open and transparent and that is the way LC has
been run over the last 10 years.  Without resolving the domain issue
its futile to discuss about hosting server and website transfer. Its
detrimental to pretend a problem does not exist and turn a blind eye.
As Hassath said : Lets solve the basic problem of domain control. and
if anyone wants to suggest solutions, please speak up.

> - Functional implications - formation of interest/ focus groups ( keeping up
> content, information, disbursing events, attending to media queries etc.,)
> and identifying related roles.
>
> Have hung out at Indichix for about a year now and think the lack of defined
> "admins/volunteers"  does raise various concerns. Kinda like "too many cooks
> in the kitchen" problem. This is good as everyone gets involved (don't get
> me wrong) but the presentation/statement of issues, guiding discussions does
> not happen well.

"too many cooks" ??? Are you being sarcastic?? Never mind, maybe you
missed reading this mail where Barkha Khatri[1] announced that she has
ssh access to the foss.in server and her second mail saying Aneesha
[2] is the second admin for MIA situations. Both of them are still
subscribed here so two server admins does not seem like "too many
cooks" to me.

[1] http://mailman.linuxchix.org/pipermail/indichix/2008-January/000806.html
[2] http://mailman.linuxchix.org/pipermail/indichix/2008-February/000889.html

@Mani A <a.mani.cms at gmail.com>
> 1 admin team
> 1 website admin team

see above.

> 1 mailing list team (though you just need to fix the rules ... )

This [ http://linuxchix.org.in/wiki/index.php/Netiquette ] is sent out
in the welcome message when you join the list. If you have more rules
to be added, please say so. Better still create an account, make
changes to the wiki, add your thoughts and tell us about it here.

> The wiki format of the website does not seem to be encouraging

Have you ever taken a look at various projects that use the wiki as a
participatory tool, like Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, etc....

That said, I'd request people to stop jumping to conclusions and
fuelling or sidetracking the moot issue : how do we keep the
linuxchix.org.in domain with the project. Suggestions are welcome but
trolling, and nastiness is not.

--
Vid
|| http://www.svaksha.com || Dreams are not what you see in your
sleep, but dreams are that, which do not allow you to sleep ~
Dr.APJKalam ||