[IndiChix] [x-post] LC-india domain

hassath at gmail.com hassath at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 06:33:30 UTC 2009

Hi everyone.

(I'm back from a very pleasant holiday, to a not-so-pleasant
discussion on the list.)

I'm one of the list admins.
As a woman, as a list member, as a human being, and as a list admin,
I'm sick of the viciousness of this thread.

One of the possible reasons that others (admins or members) have not
spoken up is that this is the holiday season. Maybe we can give it
some time before going further. Also, like I mentioned, the
viciousness is something most sane people would just like to stay away
from.

The issue is NOT that the group/mailing list needs to be split.

The issue is that linuxchix.org.in is registered in Swati Sani's name.
She is incommunicado, has unsubscribed from the list, and is not
active with indichix in any other way (as far as I know). So we have
no access to any of the information that goes with being the owner of
a domain. For e.g. Does anyone know what is happening to the
administrative mail for the domain? Does anyone here have the rights
to change the whois record and DNS for the domain (if we should need
to)?
Does anyone have any way of contacting Swati Sani? I haven't seen any
response from her on the list yet.

As far as I can see, Vidya is not asking to control the group herself.
She has only asked that women who are active currently take
responsibility. Even if one imagines that is a roundabout way of
saying that she should get control - it's a very ineffectual way of
trying to gain that control. Since she doesn't control the main
linuxchix.org, if the shift took place to *.linuxchix.org it wouldn't
keep her in control of it at all.
Atul has tried in the past too to misinform and browbeat members,
especially Vidya. Atul, you were issued a warning in February 2008 to
stop such personal attacks. I warn you again - and this is the very
last warning. If you don't stop this right away, or repeat this kind
of behaviour against anyone *ever* again, I will throw you out. (Of
course, I am well aware that you can subscribe again - with another
email address, pretending to be someone else.)

And as for all this talk about people leaving the list - I am a list
admin. Let me assure you that the number of people who have
unsubscribed (in the past one year at least) is way less than the
people who have subscribed. Nevertheless, this unpleasant atmosphere
generated by violent personal attacks is keeping many people silent.
So please, let's get back to the point: does anyone know how to
contact Swati Sani so she can be requested to hand over the domain to
active women?

Only once we know whether that is possible or not, should we look at
shifting to *.linuxchix.org and other tasks involved (finding hosting
space, shifting planet and wiki etc.).

Please note: I have no time or inclination to respond to any mails
which are not directly relevant to the question at hand. However, my
silence should not be construed as approval of nasty behaviour.

Thanks.
--
- Hassath