[IndiChix] [x-post] LC-india domain

Atul Chitnis mail at atulchitnis.net
Thu Jan 1 00:59:09 UTC 2009

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008, Gayathri Swaminathan wrote:

> Reading through all of this thread understanding the issues are:
>
> - linuxchix.org.in is expiring?

It is not. The issue was that the domain owner paid for it (or rather, it
got auto-renewed).

> - it was suggested to in.linuxchix.org
>
> Here are my questions related to the above:
>
> - Was it discussed with the other Indichix administrators?

Apparently not. I asked around, but no one seems to see the issue. Seems
like a very unilateral move. But then what do I know? No one seems to know
who the admins are, either, or who appointed them! :)

> - Will moving to in.linuxchix.org involve migration of previous content (
> posts/ articles/ archives)? Are there any takers for tasks?

The mailing list is already handled from the linuxchix.org domain, so
nothing gets affected (except that a bunch of people will probably leave).

Content elsewhere? The planet is dynamic, easy to replicate for a
technically competent person, ditto the wiki.

> - Would moving to a new domain mean carefully following through printed
> materials/ press-media contacts and letting them know of a change?

There has been virtually no activity in the past year that would require
that kind of follow-up. Most people hear about LinuxChix through the
linuxchix.org site, or typing "linuxchix" into google, so making changes
there should be enough.

> - What are the advantages/ disadvantages to moving/staying with the domains?

Advantages - total control by Vidya
Disadvantages - a very likely split

> - When does linuxchix.org.in expire? How soon we need to make a decision?

It will never expire. I think it is that realization that triggered this
response.

> - Most of all how does it affect volunteers? People who contribute content/
> materials? How would access change?

The admins of the in.linuxchix.org domain would have to set up their own
web site, replicate the content, set up their own planet, and maintain
these facilities.

The people who are affected are basically the people who do not believe
that this (giving absolute control to one person, already known for taking
unilateral decisions) is a good idea, and that this matter is being
politicized for the sole purpose of gaining control without any benefits
to the group.

These people, whose objectives are more practical and less political, will
almost certainly choose to go another way, and will probably continue
using the linuxchix.org.in domain for that. The LinuxChix charter does
allow for that, and it also doesn't prohibit multiple chapters.

> Change is good but perhaps helps to get functional end of issues answered -
> No?

yes :)

Maybe someone should ask vidya what exactly is gained by this move, that
clearly doesn't even have minority support (at least none that is
visible)?

I for one have no clue what she hopes to gain, but I can tell you what
this group stands to lose - basically all those members who have actually
been doing something, or supporting the group. Most of them are gone
already, and the remaining will leave as well.

LinuxChix' absence at FOSS.IN/2008 (because someone deemed that it was
inappropriate to participate in an event organized by me) was felt, but
did anyone see the number of women participating? It was staggeringly
high! What a waste of an opportunity to make a point and get more people
involved!

In fact our listadmin appears to be more concerned with arranging dinners
for yet another group, than furthering the cause of this group!

Maybe a counter proposal is in order.

How about handing over the list adminship to someone less ambitious,
someone who consults with this group's members before taking decisions (or
even dreams up a reason for having to take such a decision)?

Maybe it will lead to more activity, less bad blood, more support, more
members?

Atul