[IndiChix] [ilugb] Next BLR meet on Feb21 !?

Ritesh Raj Sarraf rrs at researchut.com
Mon Feb 9 10:45:08 UTC 2009

On Sunday 08 Feb 2009 19:10:15 VidAyer wrote:
> Agenda :
> 1. "backups in Linux" demo at the next lug meet - Ritesh.
> 2. GPG-key signing (yes, we hurried through this yesterday and the
> previous meet too :(  If anyone is interested I can walk them through
> the process at the next meet.)
> 3.  [add topic/yourself here]

I was thinking of 2 items.

1) I'd like to give a demo of one of my projects. pypt-offline - An  offline
package manager for Debian and derivatives. I've failed in selling it. I say
fail, because I still believe that internet is not available everywhere in
India easily and is not cheap. But I doubt if pypt-offline has many users.
My idea is to demonstrate it and get feedback from you guys (maybe some help
too). I saw many Mac users also, so testing on Mac can be of great help.

2) Hacking session.
I'd like to propose that with every meet going forward, we have a *Not
Compulsory* Hacking Session.
The hacking session should be very generic. By generic, I mean it should apply
to a wider range of audience, to keep interest and relevance.

Example: We could take the Partition-less Encrypted Disk Bug as an example.
This should stand as a good candidate because it could apply to many users as
external disks are cheap these days, and everyone is worried about data
security.
1000 LUN discovery triggering an OOM in the Linux kernel is definitely not a
topic that everyone would be interested. :-) So such bugs don't qualify for
our meet.

So I guess I've explained what would qualify as a Hacking Session.

Keep in mind that it shouldn't be overly complicated and time consuming.
The idea is to have a bug be seen by different people with a variety of
experiences and skill-set.
The expectation is not that the bug must be resolved but:
* It is still better if we get multiple reviews for it.
* Much better if we root-cause it.
* Best if we fix it and generate a patch.

PS: All this is just a proposal.

Ritesh
--
Ritesh Raj Sarraf