[IndiChix] A message for LC-IN

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Sun Jan 27 17:42:37 UTC 2008

Hello Linuxchix India, TresChix, Runa, Vid, and Valorie,

Ok let's start over here. I'm sick of the soap opera. Here is my proposal:

1. Linuxchix India needs to clean its own house. TresChix and Linuxchix can
offer certain types of support, such as server hosting, and discussion and
advice. But Linuxchix India needs to run itself- we can't do it for you.

2. In my opinion, there should not be ANY men in positions of authority,
because that defeats the purpose of Linuxchix, which it seems no one bothers
to remember:
"LinuxChix is a community for women who like Linux, and for anyone who wants
to support women in computing."
http://www.linuxchix.org/about-linuxchix.html

Support, as we have so often discussed, does not mean pushing the women out of
the way and doing everything for them. It means keeping out of our way.
Linuxchix represents a tiny 0.01% percent corner of the Internet where women
can learn to handle authority, be in charge, encourage other women in tech,
and improve various technical and social skills. Anyone who resents us
controlling this wee tiny bit of the world needs to grow up.

So there should be no men in control of the domain name, or the servers, or
the Web site or mailing lists. There are a number of men Linuxchix.org
volunteers who are IRC channel ops and mailing list moderators. But they do
not control Linuxchix, or any core functions. Originally Dancer Vesperman was
the chief system administrator because he and his wife Jenn literally ran
Linuxchix from a computer in their house. Then he got hosting for Linuxchix
through his job. Then when Valorie Henson got hosting for us at OSDL, he
graciously handed over the reins, and now there are no men in any key
Linuxchix positions.

So you excellent Indian Chix are going to have to work this out between
yourselves. I do not want to babysit, or mediate endless pointless debates
over who committed which offense. Leave all the bad blood behind, draw up a
plan, and move forward. We'll help you however we can, especially if you make
specific requests instead of replaying all the bickering, but quite honestly
you're going to have to do the work and learn how to get along with each
other- that's way it is for all the local chapters; we don't fly in and do it
for you.

best regards,
Carla
--