[IndiChix] Huston we have a problem.

Dr. Tarique Sani tarique at sanisoft.com
Sun Jan 27 07:43:58 UTC 2008

Heh!  would not have written had i not forgotten to tell Swati that I
was using her machine to read my mails :P   the last mail was obviously
not from me but now that I am here I might as well voice my opinion.

Been lurking around and reading each and every mail but not replied to
any thing with the hope that things will sort themselves out as they
very often do in FOSS communities - but this does not seem to be
happening so at the risk of being one of *those men*, *husband making
decisions for wife*  and at the same time not really wanting to point
fingers and keeping it generalized I do want to put on record some
things which I feel are happening here, IMO, not in the right spirit -
this is as much one of *my communities* as of any other and anyone
saying anything to the contrary wont change anything.

#1 Premature optimization - root of all evils - this is encroaching on
the *free* part of FOSS in this community
#2 Too much talk of power and control which is directly arising out of #1
#3 Giving too much weightage to opinions of non Indians at the same time
ignoring and alienating Indians
#4 Promoting an obtuse view of gender equality coupled with a
reinforcement of the view *women are weak*
#5 Plain simple too much talk - that too from a very few
#6 Real contributors are missing in action - probably due to all of the
above
#7 A bit of thick skin here and there - so needed for a community to
survive is missing

Cheers
Tarique