[IndiChix] Chix Semantics

Gayathri Swaminathan gayathri.swa at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 04:34:46 UTC 2008

> What has in fact been surprising to me is the other realm here. When I was
> doing my Masters here
>

> & Here = ?

Here = US of A as you rightly identified.

>  Not kidding! but there were only 4 or 5
> girls in my Masters!
>

> yeah in my year i was the only girl in physics in MS [and PhD] class in
> US, whereas in my india class, gender identity was no big deal.
> (ie - if you are talking about india vs. US, i agree , the engg. education
> system in India is much better for women in science than in the US, which is
> pretty discriminatory imho in its attitudes towards girls at early stages.
> at later stages i don't know, i think the record is mixed in most places. at
> linuxchix FOSS.in, an american girl in the audience brought up a similar
> comment to yours re. the 41 girls/guys ratio.)

See what I mean? Think our strength in this matter is much more than we
realize.

And, back to Vidya's comment:

> [And by extension I guess I am also asking, what can Indichix do to
> address issues of image

How about follow the strong leadership of Anita Borg? Dr. Borg's past work
have been to particularly strengthen women in technology - this is a vast
general area. Why not us focus just members of Indichix? This gets us
started with a defined set of people. The goals for addressing the image
issue being:

- Encourage members to use Linux distros
- Mashups of similar interest members - kinda team concept for different OSS
projects
- Strive to provide strong Indichix contributions to OSS

Am with you on the gender image thing, but I think given our
economy/standard situation like the guy below points out, why not make the
best of what we have :) Think having a mixed group of Indichix is healthy
for the long term establishments of the chapter/ growth. Especially when
young women from schools/colleges get involved to get mentored. It would
provide them a practical ground during activities to improve their
communication/professionalism.

--
Gayathri Swaminathan
gpgkey: 3EFB3D39