[IndiChix] Chix Semantics

Tea Beedi tbd.lists at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 22:51:19 UTC 2008

Great points Gayathri & Vidya,

- another one issue is that the pressures on women change a lot with
career trajectory, level and age. At BCB (bar camp bangalore) last
Aug, there was a collective on gender, and this came out from
peoples' anecdotes about getting "older" "settled" "pressures of
family, in laws" etc - so gender image is still an issue i think.

> What has in fact been surprising to me is the other realm here.
> When I was
> doing my Masters here

& Here = ?

>  Not kidding! but there were only 4 or 5
> girls in my Masters!

yeah in my year i was the only girl in physics in MS [and PhD] class
in US, whereas in my india class, gender identity was no big deal.
(ie - if you are talking about india vs. US, i agree , the engg.
education system in India is much better for women in science than in
the US, which is pretty discriminatory imho in its attitudes towards
girls at early stages. at later stages i don't know, i think the
record is mixed in most places. at linuxchix FOSS.in, an american
girl in the audience brought up a similar comment to yours re. the 41
girls/guys ratio.)

> But, I digress.

I enjoyed your digressions:)

And, back to Vidya's comment:
> [And by extension I guess I am also asking, what can Indichix do to
> address issues of image

 >It is relevant but needs to be tackled by the people here...so i'll
pass this, even though i am tempted :)

I agree w/ Vid, YMMV but we all seem to have seen the relevance of
"gender image" in our different contexts , no?

-kavita

ps : I can't resist quoting from another list here re. FOSS in India
(is that ok?) ; what interests me is that a guy brought up this issue
of family pressure too. Is Open Source development in competition
with peoples' "lives" / "families" / standard expectations?