[Indianlc] Linuxchix in Bangalore

priya venkateshan priyaven at 6agnL3df9CjpS1EBEZ6uCN1KDE2IZxp_Mkn2p2wdPxEPIq7rMctsZ8OBLCW6xYX-mt5UFVibDg0.yahoo.invalid
Fri Dec 14 07:52:55 UTC 2007

On Dec 14, 2007 12:45 PM, Vid Ayer <svaksha at RMNLTsYVVmTenUdhpvNpWFtOpBbI9AzjADqeOwNa8lsfTheLV7Vy0EkFgfbry9hJrPS9RcZ6-Q.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

>   On Dec 14, 2007 11:27 AM, priya venkateshan <priyaven at cesRcGUJpZZUDEgYJAms2JQbxM2XlUjHGcarei775C34k_zvBZALmzWmd0CKPyAivd0uyGLyvw_N0A.yahoo.invalid<priyaven%40gmail.com>>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Great to hear about this.
> > For starters...
> > How about getting girls in engineering colleges interested in linux and
> > linuxchix? I know for a fact that most people in Bangalore colleges
> don't
> > use linux all that extensively, and the number is even worse among
> girls.
> >

> Not difficult, provided you are able to encourage your friends
> (irrespective
> of gender) to start using Linux. Rather than a stranger talking about
> Linux,
> it makes more sense for you to promote linux among your friends, and those
> in other colleges. They will listen to a friend more as compared to a
> stranger evangelising about freedom or the merits of the GPL.
>
> You can talk to your HOD about it and ask them if they are willing to keep
> lab session (which may be outside your curriculum, so you may not get any
> marks for it and probably not many will want to attend. So be prepared for
> negative response too.) and when you have decided the $subject (say
> Openoffice) then we can get the appropriate 'chixpert to talk about it
> ...thoughts ?
>
> Wishes,
>
> Vid
>
> <http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/VidAyer>

In my college (NITK, Surathkal), we already have active forums for Linux
users, and a fair amount of linux evangelism, and a good number of linux
users, and a growing number of people whose primary operating system is some
flavor of linux.
But I haven't seen the same level of enthusiasm or interest for linux in
engineering colleges in Bangalore, like RVCE or PESIT, or for that matter,
much interest in FOSS, kernel hacking, etc. And I guess something needs to
be done, considering this is Bangalore, Silicon Valley of India and all.
So if we can interest atleast a few from each college, I'm sure there must
already be quite a few who are interested, we can tie-up with them, or with
alumni of these colleges who are active in the linux scene, to make the rest
aware of the world of foss and linux.

cheers
priya