Technical help

Diya Saxena funnyprogramer at SH4JLp4t1X1UR5s8XvXd6kC-H3pR6qv5vEKes7Tybb308L_y8UULVzrJ0ck5jNrJ9DAMh0pcU4NBpUm0I_HGTD8.yahoo.invalid
Wed Jan 11 17:01:50 UTC 2006

> For a newbie the information overload  (sometimes its not useful or
> relevant either) that google spews out can be overwhelming.

Correct and thats why I started the thread asking for opinion of
making documents...

> Exactly ! While TLDP has many *good* how-to documents, its not
always
> distro specific and searching for the precise data and co-relating
it
> can be confusing, frustrating and consume their time leading to the
> perception that Linux is difficult to use.  IMHO, having good
> documentation explaining the "silly basics" is necessary.  Too many
> manuals take it for granted that the reader is familiar with all the
> tech jargon they use and assume some familiarity or technical
> expertise. This is not always true for people making a clean switch
or
> wanting to try dual-boot.

Exactly, There are a lot of nice documents that are targeted towards
the beginners but assume a lot of things about the readers. For
someone making a clean switch life becomes hell.I have gone through
that phase and I know the pain. And I will say one thing, most people
who are new to Linux stop right at that point. Once that hurdle is
crossed then the life is comparatively easier.

And thats the reason I will like to see some one new to start the
first draft. Otherwise we will end up with one more beginners document
with a lot of assumptions. Someone new will not assume much and at the
same time will know all the frustrating points in making the switch.