Technical help

Diya Saxena funnyprogramer at bm_wyNOgDJzPy-A4kqOlTCeKVDTtXpjvfPd8-vm4xpBs8U3cNpyUHvfR1m5h-aYY1zMSpN4rQDrymaaUg2w.yahoo.invalid
Tue Jan 10 07:43:53 UTC 2006

Hi All

I am back again after a long vacation in my native place :-).

Wish you all a very Happy and prosperous New Year.. May all your
dreams that you ever dreamt of come true this year :-)

Now suddenly I saw a huge mailing going on in this list, nice to see
that and equally great to see that we are more concerned about a
proper functioning now, like having a website and more people
communicating here. Thanks Sulamita for starting the fire :-) ( BTW I
saw you in FOSS, Bangalore).

Now, Jyoti talked about sharing technical knowledge and helping people
in getting aboard, I will say thats really a great Idea.

Now a couple of years back when I started migrating from Windows to
Linux, I will say I had a hell of a time. There are so many distros
and so many new things and even new fs and all. It was really
confusing at that time, and frank no one really helped me at that
time. There is not a single document in tldp that helps.

Now some one else was also talking about contribution to the
community... now my suggestion is that if someone who has some free
time can (s)he come up with a beginners document? Like what are the
filesystyems in linux. How to format the harddrive for linux
installation. What are the choices of the distros and from where to
get. How to make systems dual boot etc. and yes that can be
contributed back to tldp and I think that can really help more people
to start using Linux.
I know a lot many people who want to try Linux but afraid that they
might kick their system for a toss, and there are many people who
wants to try Linux but does not want to completely migrate from
Windows.
I think these step by step docs can really help them. we can even put
them in the website and inturn attract more audience to this user
group.

I am currently working in Embedded linux and hence if ppl want I can
write up some document about kernel compilation. Open embedded
buildsystem, kernel and user space debugging etc...

This is my suggestion, what do you all suggest?

Wish you a wondwerful new year again

Diya.