New poll for Indianlc

Anand Avati asynchronousacknowledgement at OpWrCfDHQvaB7fqg7loTUe_mWccCgaLRxWUeWJiyDyOaKEwRrz-O-EAeqAn_p2CUEZuCIztrDXeCA80De06Dd7qUy9WvbL7Qwo-5UtNaEA.yahoo.invalid
Fri Oct 14 14:00:37 UTC 2005

> Sometimes I feel its producing lot of heat that it used to produce
earlier.
> ( Don't know the reasons.... actually I don't how the CPU fan is
controlled
> here

check your power settings and try underclocking your CPU.. tuning your
hardisk (hdparm) also helps to save power..

> How about others running Linux on laptop/notebook...how was your
instalation
> ?

i use slackware on my lappy [presario m2015], overall installation
process - smooth .. most of the hardware worked out of the box except

1. had to pass some extra params to the kernel on boot for S3 ACPI to
start working, and tweak a script to map lid close with S3 ACPI.

2. intel wifi card drivers compiled extra as they havnt yet made it to
the mainline kernel.. no hassels in the process though..

apart from that all working v.smooth.. for an averaged experienced
user, slackware makes you feel home..

Cheers!

Anand V. Avati
http://hardcodecafe.com/~avati