[Courses] [python] Lesson 1: Hello world

Kathryn Hogg kjh at flyballdogs.com
Sat Jun 18 13:18:17 UTC 2011

>> 1. I'm interested in hearing what version of Python everybody is
>> running, on which operating system, distro and version. Please
>> post your results! Especially if python3 is the default, or if
>> you have any other problems running the examples.

 Python 2.7.1 on Fedora 15.  Python 3.2.1 is available as python3 in the
 repositories if you would rather that I use that.

>> 2. Why are there two commas in
>>     print "Hello,", name
>>     ? What do you think the difference is between them?

 The first one is part of the string literal to be printed and the 2nd
 is an argument separator.

>> 3. Anyone know why the language was named Python?

 So that it would have a cool cover when O'Reilly inevitably published a
 book?

--
 Kathryn Hogg
 http://womensfooty.com