[Courses] [python] Lesson 1: Hello world

Peggy Russell prusselltechgroup at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 07:49:12 UTC 2011

> 1. I'm interested in hearing what version of Python everybody is running,
>    on which operating system, distro and version. Please post your results!
>    Especially if python3 is the default, or if you have any other problems
>    running the examples.

===> python --version
Python 2.6.2

Although version 3.1 is installed.

===> lsb_release -d

> 2. Why are there two commas in
>     print "Hello,", name
>     ? What do you think the difference is between them?

First comma, within double quotes, is part of the first expression/string,
and will be printed as is. The second comma separates the first from the
second expression/string.

I noticed Akkana that you used double quotes. Does Python handle quotes
differently?

> 3. Anyone know why the language was named Python?

Did not know.
Found answer here: http://www.python.org/doc/essays/foreword/  :-)

Thanks
Peg