[Courses] Perl list active

॥ स्वक्ष ॥ vid at svaksha.com
Sat Jun 18 04:29:36 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 07:19, Jacqueline McNally
<jacqueline-linuxchix at decisions-and-designs.com.au> wrote:
> I have just started a Masters in Infectious Diseases (my undergraduate
> degree was Medical Technology). Research appears to be at the molecular
> level (e.g. sequencing), and there are databases and tools available to
> analyse this data. The tools are written in Perl and Python from what I can
> see. I think most of them you can just use, but I can see that there are
> times that being able to 'tweek' may be useful.

Thats right. Most of the tools in the bio-informatics space are
heavily stacked in favor of Perl[0] and Java[1], but Ruby[2] and
Python[3] are also popular among folks willing to experiment with
other tools ; which ofcourse, adds up the cost of development,
maintenance and debugging**. Language preferences aside, I'd imagine
its all about using the right tool for getting the job done :-)

[0] http://bioperl.org
[1] http://biojava.org/wiki/Main_Page
[2] http://bioruby.open-bio.org/
[3] http://biopython.org

** Recently experienced the cpan dependency hell that people shudder at!
--
vid ॥ http://svaksha.com