[Courses] [python] Lesson 1: Hello world

Wynke Stulemeijer wynke at stack.nl
Fri Jun 17 23:26:13 UTC 2011

Hi,

Thanks for starting this course!

> 1. I'm interested in hearing what version of Python everybody is running,
>    on which operating system, distro and version. Please post your results!
>    Especially if python3 is the default, or if you have any other problems
>    running the examples.

I'm using python 2.7.1 on FreeBSD, because our home server runs
FreeBSD and I figured I might as well use what's already there.

> 2. Why are there two commas in
>     print "Hello,", name
>     ? What do you think the difference is between them?

As I have done and taught programming before (I just don't know python
yet), I think I'll leave that one for those new to it to figure out.

> 3. Anyone know why the language was named Python?

I do now, after looking it up. Not what I expected, though in
retrospect I suppose I could have guessed.

Wynke.