[Courses] [Postgresql] What is PostgreSQL?

Magni Onsoien magnio at pvv.org
Wed Nov 21 10:15:49 UTC 2007

On 2007-11-19 21:26:11 -0500, Michelle M said:
> - Give us a brief intro to yourself, and why you are taking this course

I live in Norway and has been a member of Linuxchix for a few years,
though I haven't been very active all the time. I have been working as a
Unix sysadmin for eleven years, and currently I for for the .no domain
registry, and am responsible for the national DNS infrastructure.

Our developers are developing a new registry system now, and I will
start configuring the technical (hardware and software installation, but
not the registry application itself) systems behind it soon. We're using
PG for the system, and I'd like a better understand of this database as
well as some general database skills. Unfortunately I have next to no
experience with databases, so I rely upon reusing command lines and
changing my select-strings...

> - If you haven't already, think of a concrete project you'd like to use
> PG with. Share with us a brief synopsis of the project: the problem, the
> platform, the approach you'll think you'll take, and why you think PG
> might be a good fit. It should be something that will be fun, and
> perhaps a bit challenging for you.

The ultimate challenge will be to join the development team for the
registry, but I think I may be too swamped with other tasks the coming
year :-)

Like Claudine I have lots of books and no database of them, so I'd like
to make a database for my books. It should include author, title,
original title, publishing information, information about when I
read it, whether I own it or it was borrowed from somewhere (even if it
shouldn't be in the database of MY books, I still want to keep track so
I don't buy books I have already read), and my opinions/"book report" if
I have had time to write that. A web interface to present the
information will be nice on a longer run, but command line adding and
listing of books is just as well for now. I think I will use perl,
another thing I don't know much about, both because the registry is
developed in perl and because my husband is pretty good at that and can
help me if (when) I get frustrated.
There are loads of such systems out there, but many of them lack
something I need or want, and I am too lazy/busy to check the features
of very many of them.

If anyone here happen to work for other domain registries or for a
registrar it would be fun to get in touch so we can share ideas and
stuff. We're just about to change from an email (form) based model to
EPP (Extensible Provisioning Protocol, RFC 4930), so it's quite a big
change for us.

Magni :)
--
sash is very good for you.