[Courses] [Spineful Living, Lesson 4: Saying No!]

Amanda Angell amandaangell at spin.net.au
Thu Apr 26 08:09:54 UTC 2007

On Monday 23 April 2007 5:33 am, Carla Schroder wrote:
> Lesson 4: Saying No!

<snip>
> Life is too short to waste.
<snip>

That's the most important line in lesson 2 for me! :)

In my effort to live spinefully, I took the plunge and told my work what I
wanted today. It was quite difficult - I cried while talking - but I didn't
want to stop or I'd never say it.

I've used up 4 days of my sick leave (out of 6 sick days for a 3 month
contract) in just over 1 month of being there. Just about every week
something else goes wrong, and I think the stress of working full-time was
making things worse.

To make things doubly worse, they were training me in the call-centre this
week, which really doesn't agree with me - I hate phones, and talking to
people isn't my strong suit (to put it mildly!). So.. I told them how I
felt.. and they've been really good. I'm back to Data Entry (I really rock at
data entry, although I get so bored, it's better than phones!) and I'm
talking to a higher-power tomorrow about going part-time!

Basically, I said what I wanted, and so-far, it looks as though I'm going to
get it. Although, the hardest thing was working out exactly what it was I
wanted in the first place.

Now, all I have to do is concentrate on working out what my ultimate goal
really is - what I really want out of life, what job to do, what will make me
happy. I know my current job isn't it, but today was a start in making at
least bareable.

Thanks for the course! I'll keep reading, everyone's been so inspirational.

Amanda.