[Courses] [Careers] Carla the Country Geek

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Mon Jan 31 13:20:03 EST 2005

On Sunday 30 January 2005 4:27 pm, Julie Sloan wrote:
>   On Sat, Jan 29, 2005, Carla Schroder wrote:
>
> >I started picking up computer-fixing jobs, they just sort of floated in and
> >found me.
>

> Your history sounds a lot like mine, though you're much farther down the
> road to profits than I am. Maybe there's hope for me yet!   :)

Mmm, nah.

**die laughing.**

I'm kidding! Of course there is hope for you! That's why I make a big public
deal about my age and (lack of) educational background.

One of my all-time most popular columns was this one:

Degrees v. free-style
http://www.computerbits.com/archive/1999/0700/carla9907.html
"There will forever be strife between people who favor structured education,
degrees, certifications, licenses, and the like, and them awful mavericks who
insist on doing things their own way, in their own time; between those who
pursue a profession for money and prestige, and those who do it because they
love it."

If you will recall during the dot-boom, high-tech was infested with folks who
didn't really have any particular love for the profession- they just saw fat
paychecks and stock options. Life is too short to waste that way. I have
never- and I mean "never" literally- met anyone who regretted leaving a
high-paying but unrewarding job to do something they really enjoyed. If they
had any regrets it was not making the change sooner.

Carla Schroder
http://www.tuxcomputing.com
check out my new book, the "Linux Cookbook", the ultimate Linux user's
and sysadmin's guide! http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linuxckbk/
this message brought to you
by Libranet 2.8 and Kmail