[Courses] [Careers] Carla the Country Geek

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Mon Jan 31 13:10:41 EST 2005

On Sunday 30 January 2005 4:20 pm, Mary wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 29, 2005, Carla Schroder wrote:
> > wrote about computer-related health issues, such as repetitive strain
> > injuries and chronic headaches. That evolved into a regular column "Happy
> > Healthy Computering."
> >
> > Which then evolved into a computer column, "Basic Computing" in 1997.
> > Somewhere in there I discovered Red Hat Linux, and knew I had really found
> > home. Then that evolved into "Business Linux."
>
> Do you think your writing has improved since you started writing
> professionally?
>
> Is so, how did it improve? Through the work itself? Through extra
> non-professional writing?

Definitely it has improved, just from doing so much. I don't do a lot of
writing for fun. I find there are three steps that help me get better:

1. reading a lot
2. following mail lists and forums, and tuning it to what people want to know
3. really knowing the subject before ever typing a word

As far as style and raw writing talent go, I'm pretty average. In technical
writing I'm not trying to dazzle readers with literary brilliance and
cleverness- I'm trying for clarity and helpfulness. So where I have improved
the most is in organization and presentation.

Reader comments help a lot too. Most folks are great and give thoughtful
comments.

Carla Schroder
http://www.tuxcomputing.com
check out my new book, the "Linux Cookbook", the ultimate Linux user's
and sysadmin's guide! http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linuxckbk/
this message brought to you
by Libranet 2.8 and Kmail